Thursday, July 28, 2005

A Taste of Armageddon

I just finished Hotel Rwanda. Despite a few things that were modified (but those little details don't diminish the importance of the movie and it's shock impact) for the stories purposes, it's a great and mostly accurate depictment of the Rwandan Genocide. A must see movie. It's the first time I remember crying in a movie in aeons.

If you want more information on the Rwandan genocide, I strongly suggest reading Shake Hands With the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Lt. General Roméo Dallaire. It's a poignant account by a Westerner who was at the first seats of the Genocide. There is also other great books about the Genocide, that I plan to read soon. But that one is very personal and easy to relate to, at least from my perspective.

Other great books include journalist Philip Gourevitch's We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda and Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the UN Shaharyan M. Khan's The Shallow Graves of Rwanda.

That's it for me, the movie was great, but a downer. Time to go feel shitty to be a racist and apathetic Westerner.

1 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Tupperfan rants...

Thank you for the intelligent and so well-written comments girls! I obviously won't go see your "even-better" webpage. The same way you obviously didn't read the blog (and won't read this comment).

You probably already are experts to what I invite you girls to do to yourselves...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home