Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A Foot in the Door

So, I was not accepted in any of my choices for Univ. Long story short, I paid my 10-years-old dues to the procrastination and careless association. Hope they'll leave me alone now!

It sucks, and for a minute or two (or even a little more), it got me down.

But I might be a lot of things, but I don't give up easily. So I was able to apply in a program without any contingency and therefore should, in theory, be accepted without any hassle. After talking with a university counsellor, I was able to choose something that will:

-Interest me.

-Be of any value in the larger scheme of being a teacher.

-Allow me to have good grades.

-Be done next year when I'll switch to education, since it's a certificate.

So I chose Drug-addictions: Prevention and rehabilitation. It will be an asset in my goal of working in high schools, any of them. But even more so, since I would prefer working in neighbourouds where poverty and staying in school are issues, where you can really make a difference. Also, well, it's a quite interesting subject.

I hesitated between this, Ethnic Relations and Youth Intervention, but the former program is not even a certificate and, according to the counsellor, would not give me enough credits to help me getting accepted (besides, I can take it while doing my teaching degree) and the latter needed experience in the field, which I lack. Damn!

Can't wait to get there, and I don't think there is much that can stop me this time!

By the way, here's my LEGO minifig of the month, my latest creation, Spiky the Punk:



Tonight's plans: Jean-Thomas Jobin's stand-up comedy show! This guy is the funniest absurd humorist since the last one!

Honestly, Québec is a bee-hive for comedians: That's why comedians at the height of their popularity from all around the world are coming to Montréal for the Just For Laughs comedy festival. In Québec, stand-up comics are making more money than singers and there is a lot, I mean, really, a shitload of them! Not that they are all good, but everybody can find a shoe that fits to their foot. And, yes, it sometimes sucks for other aspects of culture to be in the shadow, but I'll say in Québec culture's defense that it is quite vibrant, mostly when compared to the rest of Canada, who's basically watching the southern neighbour.

Time to go stop bragging. Fucking nationalist!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home